Sunday, February 10, 2008

Housework continues, and doesn't show any signs of letting up. The first half of the week involved painting the ceiling in the kitchen, finishing touching up the previously painted areas, sanding & re-staining the master window sill, and doing a lot of caulking.

On Tuesday the first piece of furniture showed up. The rest should show up in a month or so, if all goes as planned. We're excited for the rest to eventually get here.


The carpet may show up as early next week. One thing I need to do before it get's installed is to fix a soft spot in the floor in the main hallway. Since we've moved in one particular spot would sag and creak whenever you stepped on it.

I tore up the carpet in the hallway, exposing a concrete looking surface, with some serious cracks around the squishy area.


I pulled up the 1.5" thick chunks of concrete, and chipped a bit more away to give me a nice square hole. I drilled an exploratory hole in the soft portion of the plywood, hoping that there was a joist nearby. There wasn't one even close, which was surprising, since the seam of the plywood sheet was right there.


Since I couldn't add any additional support easily, I decided to screw & glue another piece of plywood over the soft area. That seemed to really stiffen things up.


Sunday involved using 50+ pounds of concrete to fill in the remaining hole. I've never worked with concrete before, I hope I did everything right...



The upcoming week should see us sneaking massive amounts of worn out carpet into the dumpster, probably under the cloak of night. Kristen has her ninja outfit ready.

We did manage to see Eagle Vs Shark, New Zealand's answer to Napolean Dynamite. If you enjoyed Napolean (and I'm talking to you, Jason & Becky), then it's worth checking out.

2 comments:

Brown Town said...

Just made a change to our queue on Netflix....

BB

Anonymous said...

good looking new chair
Ma Covert