Sunday, October 29, 2006

Kristen and I ran the "Eerie Erie" 5k this Saturday. We figured that after running 13.1 miles the weekend before, 3.1 miles would be cake. We were wrong. I was secretly hoping that I could break my previous record of 23:35, but instead came in at 25:05. Kristen also added a few minutes to her normal time, coming in at around 36 minutes. It was surprising how difficult of a run it was. I'm not sure if it's because we've been training to run longer distances, or if we're just still worn out from last weekend.

Kristen then went to see her sister and mother for lunch, and then we took the rest of the day pretty easy.

Today (Sunday) was the annual "Critter Crunch" bot event down in south Denver. My team mate Ted and I headed down to show the local guys our mad skills. It didn't really work out that way, I ended up placing in the middle of the pack for both the 2 pound weight class and the 20 pound. Ted also did mediocre in the 2 pound class, but swept the 20 pound class with his vacuum assisted bot, "The Inhaler". Regardless of how we placed, we had fun hanging out with our local geek friends, and talking microprocessors, machining, autonomous logic theory and the like.

Ted's 2 pound bot was a new one he whipped up in the spirit of my two pounder, Sister Christian. "Uncle Sam's Daughter" made her debut with great success, at least from the audiences point of view. We had a grudge match between the two bots, and had a lot of fun karate chopping and punching one another.




Next week is going to be hell at work, we're planning on releasing a major version of our software next Sunday, and I'm sure we'll be running around like mad trying to prepare for the big event. Hopefully it'll go smoothly, we've put a lot of effort into it.

No comments: