Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tree scouting trip.

I headed to the Indiana farm this weekend to scout trees for a possible tree house. I had a lot of fun hanging out with the parents and the dog, and tromping around the woods. A few promising trees didn't pan out after we climbed up in them. The original plan of using a single tree with many limbs didn't seem like such a hot idea when we saw how the random limb placement would complicate things.



Above is the first tree we seriously considered. It was a huge sycamore. Note Dad near the bottom of the picture. After using a ladder to get up into this tree, I suddenly wasn't so confident about building a treehouse. 18 or 20 feet up in the air really changed my perspective on things.


Lena helped quite a bit this weekend. Here she is carrying a rope for us as we headed out to look for trees.

This is the tree we settled on. It's a sycamore that has five trunks coming up from an old stump. We're hoping to put the floor right at 16 feet above the ground, which should give us quite a bit of floor space. I'm hoping to return in the fall to build the platform. We'll see how it holds up over the fall, winter, and spring.




Here are a bunch of the better pictures I took:








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pa and the fish have the same expression on their faces.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed seeing your treehouse potentials.I would love to help with project if needed.Most of my woodworking experience came from treehouse construction. Hope to see you in the fall. Tom Burkhart

Pete & Kristen said...

Hi Tom! Thanks for offering to help with the treehouse. I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to such things, so I'll probably need all the help I can get!