Monday, August 21, 2006

Busy end of week, slow weekend.

Kristen and I had a 1 mile race last Thursday. It was called "The Pearl Street Mile", the race was along the Pearl Street Mall, so there were a lot of onlookers. My friend Morrissey ran it as well, and beat me by 13 seconds. I thought he was behind me, and started really thinking I whooped him as the minutes clicked by. Kristen ran a good race, afterwards we had a beer and dinner on the mall.

Friday we headed up into the local hills to cash in one of Kristen's birthday presents from years past. I'd promised to take her to a murder mystery at an old hotel in Gold Hill, a little old mining town above Boulder. I'd never driven up there before, and we both were getting pretty nervous about the dirt road and sheer cliffs. Not a guard rail in sight. The clouds were rolling in, so we had a very atmospheric beginning for the evening. The murder mystery experience itself was a lot of fun, much more than I expected. Afterwards we went to the bar next door for a beer and people watching. Lot's of fun. I didn't bring a camera, and really regret it.

We stayed at the old Gold Hill Inn. Kristen may or may not have heard a ghost in the middle of the night, but I suspect it was a combination of the alcohol and creepy atmosphere. She did shake me awake pretty sternly in the middle of the night, and was very seriously scared. I kept telling her it made for a better story, but she didn't seem to care.

The rest of the weekend was laid back. I went on a bike ride with a buddy who just got a mountain bike, so we've been exploring a few trails here and there. We're trying to get him ramped up before the season is over, but the end is approaching rapidly. We're going to try one ambitious trail before the end of October, but haven't selected one yet.

Since I have no relevant pictures to post, here's one of Zack, who hasn't been feeling too well lately. His eyes strike me as "Fishing Lure Green" in this picture.


No comments: